Upcoming legislation changes
On 17 April 2019 we will see the following changes to migration legislation:
- the temporary Parent visa will be open for applications
- the Family Violence and Other Measures Act commences requiring a sponsor be approved before any visa application can be lodged. This will create a two-step application process for all family sponsored visas including the partner/spouse visa
- visitor visas can be cancelled at the point of arrival in cases where a person has attempted to deceive a biosecurity officer about the presence of prohibited items in their luggage or possessions.
2019 Federal budget announcements
- visa application charges will increase by 5.4 per cent from 1 July 2019 which is expected to increase revenue by $275 million. There will be no increase to second visa application charges
- reduction of the migration program planning levels to 160,000 for the next four years
- Work and Holiday Visa Cap for Indonesian citizens will be increased to 5000 over the next six years
- Skilling Australia Fund levy is forecast to generate $126 million less than previously expected
- new regional visas announced to replace the Subclass 187 Regional Skilled Migration Scheme and Subclass 489 Skilled Regional visas
- extension of the Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate visa for regional graduates providing an additional 12 month second post-study work visa which will give three years in total
- Designation Australia Program – providing scholarships for international and domestic students to study in regional Australia.
Over the next few weeks we will provide information about the new sponsorship arrangements for family visas as well as information about the new regional visas.
Author: Rebecca Macmillan
Rachel Drew, Partner
T: +61 7 3135 0617
Rebecca Macmillan, Registered Migration Agent
T: +61 7 4230 0412
The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources.