Stephen is a partner in our Workplace Relations and Safety group. He provides a wide range of advice and services to clients on employment, industrial and safety issues and disputes as well as in other contexts in which people undertake work.
His recent experience includes:
- drafting employment contracts and workplace policies;
- advising on all termination of employment issues and procedures, including in respect of senior executives on questions concerning options, bonus entitlements, directorships and shareholdings;
- acting for employers in disputes and dismissal proceedings in Fair Work Commission;
- acting for clients in proceedings to enforce confidentiality and restraint of trade provisions;
- advising and acting for employers in respect of General Protections proceedings as well as complaints of unlawful termination and unlawful discrimination, including in respect of issues concerning flexible work arrangements and disability discrimination;
- working with employers prior to and following the sale of businesses to address relevant employment issues, including those that arise where there is a transfer of business;
- providing strategic advice on minimising exposure to workplace safety risks and liability including advising employers, funds managers, financiers and others who have control of land or premises about work health and safety requirements and risks; and
- assisting employers with WorkCover and Comcare investigations and acting for employers in safety prosecutions.
Stephen Trew was named as a leading lawyer in Sydney in the industry and peer rated guide “The ALB Guide: Employment Law 2009” and was a recommended lawyer in Legal 500 in 2012 and 2015. Stephen is also listed in the 2017 Best Lawyers in Australia guide as a leading lawyer for Labour and Employment Law.