Andrew has more than 30 years’ experience in employment and industrial relations matters. He focuses on contractual, industrial, professional conduct and equal opportunity issues.
In addition to his legal qualifications, Andrew is a Certified Professional, Australian Human Resources Institute.
Andrew’s principal clients are in the education sector, namely the Queensland Teachers’ Union and the Queensland Independent Education Union. He also advises and represents both employers and employees in commercial, non-profit and government organisations.
Andrew’s key experience includes:
Employment and Industrial Relations
- Drafting employment agreements
- advising on legal issues relating to legal entitlements, discipline, performance review, termination and workforce restructure
- preventing and resolving disputes, and representation of clients, in a range of State and Federal courts and industrial commission and tribunals, on matters including:
- contractual claims
- interpretation of industrial instruments
- professional misconduct and dismissal issues
- discrimination and harassment complaints
- public sector employment issues
- assisting clients to make the transition to operate under the Fair Work (and earlier) legislation, including advice (and cases conducted in the Industrial Court of Queensland) on whether employers are ‘constitutional corporations’ and advice, negotiation and drafting in relation to common law collective agreements
- advice and representation on employment and industrial law in education environments
- Advice and representation of professional employees in Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal and predecessor bodies, and in employer discipline matters.
Union and Not-for-Profit Governance
- Advice and representation of registered unions in compliance and governance matters
- advice and representation of not-for-profits (especially community sector organisations) in governance and employment issues.
Teacher and Education Unions
- Advice and representation of teachers and education workers, and their unions, on employment, industrial, school management, legal obligations, discipline, registration, community relations and student protection matters