In her time at Holding Redlich, Angela has acted in a broad range of corporate matters, including the following:
- acting for a telecommunications services provider in putting in place a nominated carrier declarations and undertaking a due diligence of its regulatory compliance
- acting for a number of corporates and Government agencies in putting in place telecommunications and IT services contracts
- acting for communications infrastructure suppliers in drafting and negotiating supply contracts for the delivery of both fixed line and mobile infrastructure
- acting for corporates in updating documentation to ensure compliance with the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) unfair contract provisions (as applicable to contracts with small business)
- assisting in providing representations to the Australian Government regarding the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979 (Cth) data retention requirements and digital privacy related issues
- assisting corporates in establishing cyber security frameworks
- acting for corporates in assisting them to put in place updates to their privacy policies, including to ensure compliance with the requirements of the mandatory data breach notification scheme introduced in early 2018
- acting for Communications Alliance (the Australian communications sector industry body) in relation to the proposed move to a self-regulatory regime for numbering (both fixed and mobile) allocation in Australia
- acting for a Commonwealth agency in considering proposals for the monetisation of the payments under infrastructure contracts
- preparing submissions for a client in relation to the consultation on the proposed new Commonwealth radiocommunications regulatory framework
- acting for telecommunications companies in the interpretation of telecommunications sector specific regulation and in their interactions with the sector specific regulator, the Australian Communications and Media Authority, including enforcement of rights under Schedule 3 of the Telecommunication Act 1997 (Cth) and compliance with the interference provisions of the Radiocommunications Act 1992 (Cth).
While General Counsel and First Assistant Secretary in the Department of Communications and the Arts, Angela’s experience included:
- acting in the restructure of the National Broadband Network (NBN) in 2013-14 to move from a Fibre to the Premises (FttP) rollout to a rollout using a mix of technologies, including negotiations on behalf of the Government for revised arrangements with Telstra and Optus, including the acquisition of their Hybrid Fibre-Coaxial (HFC) networks and negotiations with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- responsibility for the Department’s implementation of the Government’s deregulation agenda, with the aim of ensuring regulation in the broader communications sector (covering media, telecommunications, spectrum and the internet) is appropriate in a constantly changing global communications environment
- responsibility for policy advice to Government on telecommunications consumer protections regulation
- management of tenders, including for services relating to Australia’s Triple Zero services
- general management of the Department’s grants and procurements functions.
Angela’s experience in private practice prior to her time at Holding Redlich included:
- acting in a substantial number of private equity transactions, across a number of sectors including healthcare, technology and transport, for example, acting in the Ventura acquisition of Grenda (transport), the management acquisition of SCF Group (shipping containers), KKR’s unsuccessful bid for Healthscope (health services) and Navis Capital’s acquisition of Retail Apparel Group (retail menswear)
- acting in a number of significant TMT sector financings and restructurings, including for the financiers to Austar prior to its acquisition by Foxtel, the financiers to PowerTel, the financiers to OneTel and the initial financiers of the Australia Japan Cable project.
In addition, Angela holds the following positions:
- Asia Pacific Regional Forum Liaison Officer and Website Officer of the Communications Law Committee, International Bar Association, from January 2018
- Member of the Numbering Steering Group, Communications Alliance, from May 2017
- Member of the Law Council of Australia Media and Communications Committee, from mid 2017.