We are experienced in advising and acting in relation to all aspects of marine insurance and reinsurance, including P&I, Hull & Machinery, FD&D, charterers’ liability, loss of hire, port and terminal liability, general professional liability and property as well as forwarder’s liability cover. Our team acts for the world’s leading P&I, FD&D and charterers’ liability insurers as well as ship owners, operators and charterers, freight forwarders and logistics providers, transport intermediaries, brokers and agents. We work closely with marine insurers and their insured in relation to the investigation, assessment and resolution of claims and pursuit of recoveries, whether through negotiation, mediation, legal proceedings across all Australian jurisdictions or domestic and international arbitration.
We are on-call 24 hours a day in relation to Admiralty and arrest matters to ensure that our client’s vessels are released and/or security is obtained for our client’s claims, with minimum disruption to commercial operations.
We act for marine insurers in relation to:
- Policy wording and drafting
- Marine insurance advice
- General average
- Claims and claims management
- Subrogated recoveries.
The experience of our partners and senior lawyers includes:
- Defending a claim for $38 million in the Federal Court in relation to alleged damage to a cargo of locomotives
- Acting for reinsurers for hull policy in respect of a claim arising from the sinking of a dumb barge engaged in marine construction project work in Indonesia and involving consideration of warranties under Marine Insurance Act 1909 (Cth)
- Acting for insurers of a tug in respect of recovery claims against marine engineers/repairers after engine room fire caused by faulty line installation
- Acting for cargo insurers in relation to cargo claims arising from grounding of a bulk carrier, including issues of general average and salvage contribution
- Acting in claims for General Average contribution brought by ship owners in the Federal Court of Australia
- Advising major Australian marine insurer in relation to double insurance issues arising under a serious casualty
- Advising an insured in relation to a major cargo damage claim concerning a shipment from Iran to Myanmar.