We are experienced in advising and acting for freight forwarders, logistics providers and multimodal transport operators. We understand the unique position occupied by this sector, as intermediaries in the transport chain, and the tensions faced in contracting between shipping lines and the owners of goods. We advise the freight forwarding and logistics sector in relation to all matters of commercial and logistics law and practice. On a commercial front, we advise and assist our clients in relation to contract negotiation and operations, to ensure the smooth integration of commercial operations along the supply chain.
We advise freight forwarders, logistics providers and multimodal transport operators in relation to:
- Corporate and commercial matters
- Container detention claims and exposure management strategies
- The development of chain of responsibility compliance programs
- Standard trading terms and commercial documentation
- Services and project logistics agreements
- Warehousing and distribution
- Warehousing licensing regulations
- Carriage of goods and cargo claims for loss, theft, damage and delay
- Employment, workplace relations and work health and safety
- Freight and debt recovery
- Commercial leasing.
The experience of our partners and senior lawyers includes:
- Negotiating commercial leases across Australia for a leading international logistics provider
- Advising a national distributor of goods in relation to distribution and warehousing arrangements and contract negotiation
- Drafting standard trading terms for container detention/hire and conducting a commercial document audit for the incorporation of standard terms and conditions for an international logistics provider
- Drafting contract exceptions re RFP’s for project logistics including re Wind Farms in Tasmania, Victoria and New South Wales and re Ichthys LNG Project and Northern Territory
- Establishing full commercial documentation for new entrants to the international forwarding sector, including a bulk wine specialist forwarder
- Advising on Personal Property Securities impacts on forwarder’s lien and acting in disputes with Liquidators appointed for customer
- Drafting Services Agreements for volume customers.