We are experienced in assisting and advising on the international sale of goods, commodities shipments, domestic road and rail transport and terminal storage and warehousing. We act for commodities traders, ship owners and charterers, brokers and financiers in relation to hard and soft commodities. In addition, we advise national commodities consolidators and trade associations in relation to corporate, commercial and regulatory issues, including road transport chain of responsibility legislation.
We advise exporters, importers and charterers in relation to:
- Contracting terms and conditions
- Trade finance
- Import and export regulations and sanctions
- Charterparty and contract of affreightment
drafting and interpretation
- Laytime and demurrage claims and disputes
- Drafting standard form contracts and templates
- Cargo and charterers liability insurance
- Carriage of goods and claims relating to damage,
shortage, quality and delay
- Port rules and protocols
- Cross-jurisdictional dispute resolution and
- Port terminal, stevedoring and materials handling contracts and disputes.
In relation to disputes, we act in Federal and Supreme Court litigation (including Admiralty claims and arrest matters) as well as domestic and international arbitration and mediation. We work closely with clients to develop the most cost-effective strategy to ensure the successful resolution of disputes.
The experience of our partners and senior lawyers includes:
- Acting for an importer of fertiliser in relation
to the quarantine rejection of the cargo to be imported into Australia,
negotiating re-sale contracts into South-East Asia and pursuing the
corresponding quality claim in Swedish arbitration proceedings
- Successfully recovering over USD 2 million in
freight for the owners of a bulk vessel in relation to a long term contract of
- Acting for FOB seller of wheat cargo paid under
Letter of Credit by Australian confirming bank in relation to Italian
injunction proceedings issued by Buyer against Issuing Bank and Seller
- Acting for Buyers of Australian coal re dispute over vessel nomination provisions.