We act for parties along the entire road transport chain of responsibility. We understand the heavy regulatory and safety compliance burden placed on road transport operators, consignees/consignors, importers/exporters, logistics providers and warehousing and distribution companies. We partner with our clients to develop proactive risk assessment and compliance policies and procedures, aimed at ensuring industry best practice and avoiding costly road transport accidents and prosecutions. When accidents do happen, we are experienced in defending chain of responsibility compliance and enforcement prosecutions.
We advise road transport and fleet operators and other parties in the chain of responsibility in relation to:
- Industry codes of practice
- The development of chain of responsibility compliance programs
- Risk management
- Compliance and enforcement actions for over mass, over dimension, load restraint and fatigue management breaches
- Employment, workplace relations and work health and safety.
The experience of our partners and senior lawyers includes:
- Developing chain of responsibility compliance plans for a national manufacturer of goods and a national importer and distributor of timber flooring products
- Successfully defending a national grain handler in respect of more than 330 charges of alleged overloading, with potential penalties totalling over $18 million
- Acting for the consignor of goods in relation to a charge for alleged failure to restrain goods and in a Coronial Inquest into the fatality of an individual resulting from the tipping over of the vehicle carrying the goods
- Advising freight forwarders on compliance obligations and drafting commercial compliance provisions.