John has an extensive knowledge of employment and industrial relations law. He advises and represents employees and trade unions in a wide variety of matters, including:
- contractual disputes
- anti-discrimination law
- unfair dismissal proceedings
- restraints of trade
- freedom of association
- interpretation and enforcement of industrial instruments
- employment aspects of the Australian Consumer Law
- industrial disputes
- trade union rule matters.
John provides pragmatic, commercial advice to his clients focusing on prompt and efficient resolution of their legal problems. His clients value his command of clear, effective language and his emphasis on practical outcomes.
John commenced his career as an industrial advocate for one of Australia’s largest trade unions. He worked for several years in private practice before joining Holding Redlich. John also served as an associate to the Honourable Justice Peter Gray of the Federal Court of Australia.
Examples of John’s professional experience include:
- securing injunctions in the Federal Court of Australia ordering the reinstatement of dismissed employees
- advising a large trade union on an application to vary its registered rules
- acting for a trade union in a significant economic tort proceeding filed in the Federal Court of Australia
- acting for an employee accused of improperly taking confidential information from a previous employer.