Jack has more than 10 years’ experience in commercial and general disputes litigation, including more than five years in regulatory investigations and commissions of inquiry. He acts for a federal regulator and professional services firms and has a wealth of experience acting for mid to large companies across manufacturing, infrastructure, professional indemnity insurance and service industries, as well as for company directors and professionals.
Jack regularly acts in complex multi-party commercial disputes and has appeared at all levels of NSW State and Federal Courts, as well as before the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) and various federal regulatory bodies.
Jack advises his clients on all stages of the dispute resolution process, including alternatives to litigation. Adept in the court room, the mediation room and the client meeting room, Jack’s approach to resolving disputes is informed by understanding his clients’ business and operational objectives. His awareness of the reputational and business disruption risks associated with protracted litigation enables Jack to provide pragmatic and commercially sensible advice at all times.
Jack’s passionate advocacy of the necessity for, and benefits of, an inclusive workplace is driven by his desire to better serve the diverse nature of the clients that he advises.
Jack’s recent experience includes:
• acting for and advising the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) in relation to various regulatory matters arising under Federal legislation
• acting for a professional services firm in defence of claims of negligence and misleading and deceptive conduct under federal consumer protection legislation
• acting for a state legal professional indemnity insurer and various legal practices, partnerships and sole practitioner solicitors in pre-litigated and litigated professional indemnity claims for negligence, breach of retainer, breach of trust and breach of fiduciary duty claim
• advising a state legal professional indemnity insurer on complex indemnity, causation, proportionate liability and contribution defences
• acting for company directors in defence of claims for breach of directors duties, insolvent trading and misleading and deceptive conductclaims under the Australian Consumer Law and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001
• acting for two individual respondents and two corporate respondents in Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) prosecution proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia involving complex claims of cartel conduct and giving effect to exclusionary provisions in the area of government licensing and regulation in the mining sector
• acting for an Australian electrical accessory manufacturer in Federal Court of Australia proceedings involving multiple claims of registered trademark, design and patent infringement, common law passing off and misleading and deceptive conduct in contravention of consumer protection legislation
• acting for individuals at three public inquiries and private examinations at ICAC
• acting for individuals and corporate entities in relation to regulatory investigations conducted by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission and the ACCC.
Law Society of NSW
City of Sydney Law Society
Sydney Gay and Lesbian Business Association
11 Feb 20 to 10 Nov 20 - Brisbane
This series will equip you with the knowledge and tools to buy and/or sell better, will ensure you remain compliant in this increasingly regulated environment, and will maximise your chances of success and beat off the competition.
28 Jul 20
In this webinar, Paul Venus, Holding Redlich Queensland Managing Partner and Chris Cook, Partner of Worells Solvency & Forensic Accountants will outline how business owners and their advisors can get some confidence—when possible—beyond the crisis that the business will not be derailed by legacy debt.