We have extensive expertise in litigating and resolving disputes under the Corporations Act.
We have acted both for companies and individuals in relation to:
- breach of directors’ duties;
- shareholder disputes;
- oppression suits;
- defence of proceedings by ASIC.
Examples of our experience
Our Dispute Resolution and Litigation team has acted in the following cases:
- acting for the CFO and directors of a public company in the defence of insolvent trading claims brought by ASIC;
- acting for a public company in relation to an ASIC investigation regarding disclosure issues;
- acting for shareholders of a large medical practice in a claim for oppression in the Federal Court;
- acting on behalf of a former managing director of a publicly listed company in relation to claims against a major shareholder for misleading and deceptive conduct, and against a group of shareholders for failing to disclose an association;
- publically examining a director and his new employer, on behalf of a controller, concerning whether confidential information was passed to the new employer;
- acting for a block of shareholders to successfully resolve a dispute with other shareholders concerning a “buy out” of shares;
- advising on and appearing in a variety of major ASIC investigations , including advising on Section 19 examinations and production of books and records;
- acting for a first tier accounting firm in HIH Royal Commission.