We regularly advise companies, directors and officers involved in external investigations and prosecutions brought by Commonwealth and state agencies.
Our team of expert litigators has extensive experience advising companies and individuals in relation to a wide range of white collar criminal matters including bribery and corruption, corporate investigations, insider trading, financial prosecutions and fraud.
These types of cases are complex and raise a number of highly sensitive issues. We understand the reputational risks for companies or individuals facing serious criminal charges, and work with them to minimise their risk and exposure.
We are experienced in dealing with all aspects of criminal investigations, such as providing advice in relation to search warrants and privilege issues, negotiating outcomes with regulators and prosecutors and representing individuals in lengthy criminal proceedings.
Following are some examples of our recent work in the area of corporate crime and investigations:
- Representing the former Chief Executive Officer of Note Printing Australia Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Reserve Bank of Australia, in defending charges of conspiring to bribe foreign public officials under the Commonwealth Criminal Code, in what is Australia’s first foreign bribery prosecution.
- Acted for a former executive of ABC Learning Centres who faced Corporations Act charges of using his position to gain a personal advantage and dishonestly failing to exercise his duties in good faith.
- Advising and representing a $600 million corporation in an investigation regarding conduct of employees that may have prejudiced a significant contract for the business.
- Acted for 48 employees and managers of AWB Limited in the “Oil-for-Food” Cole Commission of Inquiry.
- Represented a number of individuals in the defence of significant ASIC prosecutions.
- Acted for a number of individuals who have been prosecuted or investigated by APRA, EPA, the Commonwealth and State Directors of Public Prosecutions, the Australian Federal Police, Victoria Police, VicRoads and other Victorian government regulatory bodies.