We have been at the forefront of the development of ADR in Australia. We have formulated specialised negotiating strategies to resolve commercial disputes and are experts in representing clients in mediations, expert determinations, negotiations and other structured ADR techniques.
We pride ourselves in being able to use our litigation skills in conjunction with our ADR skills to achieve successful outcomes for our clients.
We work with our clients to achieve their objectives. If it is in our clients’ interests to achieve a settlement, we can apply the full range of ADR techniques to obtain a negotiated outcome. We have settled most of our clients’ commercial disputes using these strategies.
Examples of our experience include successfully resolving:
- the second largest information technology dispute in Australia for a state owned corporation by way of a three day mediation;
- more than 30 cases in which we have acted for a big four accounting firm in relation to allegations of professional negligence;
- a claim for damages arising out of a contract for carriage by sea involving a boiler explosion;
- a claim by a public company concerning fees to merchant bankers arising from a public company takeover which was successfully settled at mediation;
- a dispute relating to an alleged breach of patent rights;
- a claim for more than $70 million in damages for alleged breach of misleading and deceptive conduct arising from the sale of a business which was being litigated in the Federal Court;
- a claim concerning defective paint applied to a storage container which was resolved by following a non-binding expert determination and a mediated negotiation.