Queensland Building Services Authority to be replaced by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission
Housing Minister Tim Mander announced this week his plans to replace the current Queensland Building Services Authority with the new Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC).
The QBCC is set to take over from the BSA in January 2014 and will be run by an appointed board and a commissioner.
A “ten point action plan” for the QBCC has been tabled by the Government includes:
- the establishment of an internal review unit to reduce the need to make applications for review to QCAT;
- significant changes to licensing and compliance including the introduction of continuous professional development requirements, the implementation of a penalty system to apply where illegal or defective works have been approved outside required standards and tolerances and amendments to the Queensland Building Services Authority Act 1991 in relation to excluded individuals; and
- the development of improved education and training processes including a more user friendly website and on line consumer awareness courses.
The QBCC will also consider:
- introducing a fast-tracked domestic adjudication system which operates prior to completion of projects;
- whether the Queensland Home Warranty Scheme’s scope and level of coverage should be extended;
- changes to the role and process of appointing private certifiers; and
- expanding the licensing role of the new QBCC.
For more information on the QBCC and the proposed changes, see the Queensland Government’s Response paper at Queensland Government’s Response paper.
Troy Lewis, Partner
T: +61 7 3135 0614
Stephen Burton, Partner
T: +61 7 3135 0604
The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources.