Record number of people pledging their allegiance to Australia
In the 2019-20 financial year, 204,817 people were conferred Australian citizenship – a 60 per cent increase on the previous financial year and the highest number on record. The Department of Home Affairs has also resumed citizenship interviews and testing, in line with COVID-19 health advice (25 July 2020). More...
Supporting international students to support Australian jobs
The Morrison Government is making a number of changes to student visa arrangements to ensure Australia remains a priority destination for international students as we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic. Five visa changes will ensure international students are not worse off due to the coronavirus pandemic and that Australia remains competitive with other countries (20 July 2020). More...
Joint Committee on Hansard: Joint Standing Committee on Migration - Working Holiday Maker program - Canberra - 20 July 2020
The Joint Standing Committee on Migration shall inquire into and report on the Working Holiday Maker program, with reference to:
- the purpose of the program including history, size, composition, eligibility, and reciprocal access for Australians and recent changes
- the value of the program to Australia's economy, including tourism, health care and agriculture sectors
- the ongoing impact of COVID-19 nationally and internationally on the program
- the potential economic impacts on regional economies due to the disruptions of access to Working Holiday Makers relied upon especially for the agricultural and tourism sectors; and the capacity, if any, for Australians made unemployed by COVID-19 to fill the labour shortage
- the extent to which existing visa criteria and conditions related to Working Holiday Makers are still adequate and appropriate to address the purpose of this program, including cultural exchange and creating job opportunities for Australians
- the extent to which the program can support economic recovery in regional Australia; and any other related matters. More...
The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources.